Friday, April 22, 2005

White Chateauneuf-du-Pape

My wife brought home a bottle of this today. This seems as good a time as any to mention that there will be wine posts here, too. I'll review the bottle after I've--I mean we've--drunk it.

Later.

Mmmmm...wine...

Here's something interesting about white c-d-d'p: it's nose is exactly upside-down from its taste. The nose is heavy on steely citrus--assertive, crisp, very like a Cloudy Bay sauvignon blanc from the early 90's, but plus some melon undertones. In your mouth, it behaves exactly opposite: lots of soft flavors--canteloupe, dust, a little of that unfortunate flavor of fuel that marks the wines I don't love--but with s-blanc undertones: the flintiness, the stoniness, the lime and cut grass. It's like a wine that can't catch its balance--constantly teetering towards the chardonnays I can only take a single glass of, and the s.b.'s that I've drunk 3 bottles of on a July 4th or two.

Overall: a bit too flabby for me, but fine company for as long as it lasts. 87. Oh, for the persnickety: 2003 Domaine du Vieux Lazaret.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Al Gore on a good hair day, something jives me as insane about a white Chateauneuf du Pape. Glad you have the fortitude to drink it (I don't, neither did I vote for the man).
Now I am anticipating a review of a red Mosel/Saar/Ruwer.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home